Claremont, standing on the crest of a hill south of Esher, surrounded by fine trees, has many interesting associations. It was built by Lord Clive at a cost of £100,000 and is of red brick, with dressings and Corinthian portico of stone. The Government bought Claremont in 1816 for £66,000, as a residence for Princess Charlotte on her marriage with Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, and here, a year later, she died. It was here also that Queen Victoria passed the happiest days of her otherwise dull childhood, and that she used to stay with Prince Albert after her marriage. Louis Philippe, after his downfall, occupied the house, dying in it in 1850. When Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, married, Claremont was settled upon him; and since his death, in 1884, his widow, once Princess Helen of Waldeck, has resided here.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896