ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S HOSPITAL: THE WEST ENTRANCE.
The western gate of St. Bartholomew's Hospital looks out upon the stone-paved, noisy neighbourhood of the London Central Meat Market. Over the gate, which was built in 1702, is a statue of Henry VIII., who was induced to re-establish the institution when the monasteries were suppressed; and the semi-recumbent figures represent respectively a sick man and a cripple. The church behind the gate is St. Bartholomew's-the-Less, founded, with the Hospital itself, by Rahere early in the twelfth century, but rebuilt in 1823. The tower of the much more interesting church of St. Bartholomew-the-Great rises to the left of our picture, beyond the circular road leading beneath the market. The building to the left of the gate is the casualty and out-patients' department of the Hospital.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896