HARROW SCHOOL: THE SPEECH HOUSE.
One of the most conspicuous of the buildings which constitute Harrow School is the admirable Speech House, between the house of the headmaster and the churchyard-on the opposite side of the road to the Old College Chapel. It is little more than twenty years ago that the Speech House was built, by Mr. William Burges, at a cost, including the site, of nearly twenty thousand pounds. The pitch-pine roof is supported by slender iron columns, and there is a fine organ, with an ingeniously contrived keyboard below the headmaster's desk. The seats are arranged in tiers, and the building is spacious enough to accommodate the large audiences which Speech Day always draws together.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896