THE PALACE THEATRE.
It is generally admitted that the Palace Theatre is the most beautiful playhouse in London. "Regardless of expense'' it was built for Mr. R. D'Oyly Carte by Mr. P. E. Colcutt, the architect of the imperial institute, who was fortunate in obtaining such a splendid site as Cambridge Circus - where Shaftesbury Avenue and Charing Cross Road meet - offers for display. The Royal English Opera House was opened with a great flourish of trumpets, and with the highest hopes, on January 31st, 1891, Sir Arthur Sullivan's grand opera "Ivanhoe" being then for the first time produced. But Mr. Carte's operatic scheme did not gain the support it deserved, and in July of the following year the name of the house was changed to the Palace Theatre As a variety theatre it enjoys a high reputation - and no promenade
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896