THE REFORM CLUB: THE LIBRARY
The most influential of the Liberal clubs was founded by the Right Hon. Edward Ellice in 1836 and the splendid clubhouse in Pall Mall, south side, was opened five years later. Barry was the architect, his design being based on that of the Farnese Palace at Rome. The promoters of the Club intended that it should become famous, not only as a political centre, but also for its books, its comfort, and its cookery, and in all these directions their ambition has been amply realised. The Library occupies a handsome room that originally served as a drawing-room and the collection of books, particularly those dealing with political and parliamentary subjects, is wonderfully comprehensive About a thousand volumes are added every year; and the library committee includes many distinguished men.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896