THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS.
Sir Charles Barry, the architect of the Houses of Parliament, designed the local habitation of the Royal College of Surgeons, on the south side of Lincoln's Inn Fields and it was erected in 1835. The College originated with the Livery Company of the Barber-Surgeons, and now with the Royal College of Physicians, it forms a joint board for examining would-be medical practitioners. Our view shows the fine building as seen from the gardens recently secured for the public. It contains an extremely interesting museum, of which John Hunter's collection, purchased by Parliament, formed the nucleus and in this museum are some twenty-four thousand anatomical specimens, physiological and pathological. In the Council Chamber is a portrait of Hunter (who died in 1793) by Sir Joshua Reynolds.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896