THE OLD SCHOOL, HARROW.
Among the public schools of England, Harrow occupies a position second only to Eton. The pious founder was a yeoman named John Lyon, and he established the school as a Free Grammar School in 1571. The fourth-form room - the original schoolroom of Lyon's foundation - is the largest of the lot, and on the oak panelling, or on the old forms which are still used, may be seen the names of Byron. Sir Robert Peel, Temple, afterwards Lord Palmerston, and of many other Harrovians known to fame, cut with a pen-knife. The never school buildings, of red brick, cluster round the old school, and are familiar enough to visitors to the pleasant Middlesex village set on a hill. The present head-master of Harrow is the Rev. J E C Welldon, a gentleman of quite exceptional energy.