HOLBORN VIADUCT, FROM FARRINGDON STREET.
Holborn Viaduct extends from Holborn Circus to Newgate Street, a distance of 1,400 feet, and is eighty feet wide. The cost of this improvement was considerably over two millions, and the work occupied six and a half years. It was undertaken by the Corporation to avoid the inconvenient descent of Holborn Hill, and the Queen opened the new thoroughfare in person in 1869. Everybody admits that the Viaduct is a triumph of engineering skill, but a great deal of it - the accommodation, for instance, of gas - and water - pipes - is not visible. Our illustration shows the bridge that obliquely crosses Farringdon Street - a cast-iron girder bridge, with three spans, supported by twelve handsome granite piers. Further north appears one of the domes of the Central Markets.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896