THE ROYAL MINT.
This dignified-looking building, on the east side of Tower Hill, was designed by Johnson and Smirke, and built in 1811, but it was greatly enlarged and transformed in 1881-2. Orders to view the process of coining are granted by the Deputy-Master of the Mint (Mr. Horace Sevmour) and over seven thousand people annually seize the opportunity of inspecting the extremely delicate machinery and the Mint Museum, containing a collection of coins and medals of great interest to others besides numismatists. Coins of more than forty denominations are now struck for Imperial and Colonial use, and in 1894 upwards of six million pieces were turned out. For the Imperial currency, during the twelve months, gold, silver and bronze were coined to the value of £6,654,441.