THE ROYAL HORTICULTURAL GARDENS, CHISWICK.
With the object of promoting scientific gardening the Royal Horticultural Society was founded in 1804, and fourteen years later experimental gardens were established between the famous Chiswick House, where Charles James Fox and George Canning died, and Turnham Green. Then, as now, fetes were occasionally held here. But in 1861 new gardens were acquired at South Kensington, and thenceforward Chiswick was a kind of supply stores for the new property nearer town. In the fulness of time, however, the South Kensington Gardens were appropriated as a site for the Imperial Institute and the Royal College of Music, and the Chiswick Gardens have recovered their original status. In the Glass-house shown above are many fine horticultural specimens.