THE LAKE, DULWICH PARK
When Mr. Pickwick settled down at Dulwich after his wanderings, he described it as one of the pleasantest spots near London. The Park, now one of its chief attractions, is the gift of the governors of Dulwich College - the well-endowed Allevn's College of God's Gift - and it was opened in June 1890. The seventy-two acres of which it consists, stretching between Dulwich and Peckham, within a few minutes walk of the College. are very pleasantly laid out, and are in great request for games. But one of the most delightful spots in the Park is the ornamental water, which can challenge favourable comparison with the best of the lakes in the parks within the Metropolitan area.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896