BURLINGTON ARCADE, PICCADILLY.
Burlington Arcade, a covered walk between a double row of shops, connecting Piccadilly with the Street known as Burlington Gardens, was built in 1819 for Lord George Cavendish, afterwards Earl of Burlington, and part of the gardens of old Burlington House was taken for the site A bit of the new Burlington House appears in our picture to the right of the Piccadilly entrance to the Arcade. From the first, many of the shops have been occupied by foreigners (who are more familiar in their own countries with Arcades than are Englishmen) and the goods displayed are chiefly articles of wearing apparel. Burlington Arcade once a more fashionable haunt then it is now, is closed in the evenings and ill-behaved persons are occasionally astonished to find themselves summarily ejected therefrom into the public roads.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896