CANNON STREET, LOOKING WEST.
This view of ever-busy Cannon Street is taken from the rising ground just east of the railway stations of the South-Eastern and Metropolitan Companies. The church on the extreme right of the picture is St. Swithins, with the exterior wall of which is incorporated an old stone, believed to be that from which distances on the British roads were measured during the Roman occupation. The court beyond the church takes its name from the Salters Hall and here are the headquarters of the National Telephone Company. The tall building with rounded windows is the office of an Assurance Company. In the distance are seen the huge dome and one of the towers of St. Paul's Cathedral and nearer to our point of view, in Queen Victoria Street, may be distinguished the tower of St. Mary Aldermary.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896