WOOLWICH, FROM THE RIVER.
For several centuries Woolwich has been a place of great importance. Henry VIII. established here the Royal Dockyard, which was closed in 1869; and in these days the town is chiefly famous for its Arsenal, where thousands of men are employed in the manufacture of the munitions of war. There are separate departments for the making of guns, gun-carriages and waggons, cartridges and other projectiles. The Arsenal chimneys are prominent features of our view, while on the common to the right rises the Royal Military Academy (see page 242). At Woolwich also are the Royal Marine and Royal Artillery Barracks. Half obscured by the smoke from the passing pleasure-steamer returning from a trip to the estuary of the Thames, may be seen the parish church, dedicated to St Mary Magdalene.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896