As long ago as the year 631 the manor of Fulham was granted to the then Bishop of London. The older portion of the present Palace, which was much altered at the beginning of the last century, dates from the time of Henry VII. On the south-west side of this is the chapel, built by the Bishop (afterwards Archbishop) Tait in 1867, which, though plain outside, is finely decorated within. The Palace itself is a very unpretending brick structure, but the grounds, enclosed by a moat about a mile in circumference, are justly famous. They extend over nearly forty acres, and sometimes suffer when the near-flowing Thames is flooded. For more than eight centuries Fulham has been the home of the Bishops of London, many of whom are buried in the neighbouring parish church.