ST. STEPHEN'S HALL.
Visitors to the Central Hall of the Houses of Parliament, whither they go in search of Lords or Commons, are familiar enough with St. Stephen's Hall, through which they have to pass, or in which they have to wait for admission to the Strangers' Gallery on a full night in the Lower House. It stands on the site of St. Stephen's Chapel. which was built not far short of 600 years ago, and was once the meeting place of the Commons. The statues on either side of the Hall are marble effigies of celebrated statesmen. On the south side (the right in our view) are Hampden, Selden, Walpole, Chatham, Pitt, and Grattan; on the north, Clarendon, Falkland, Somers, Mansfield, Fox, and Burke. The handsome doors at either end swing between niches containing statues of early English Sovereigns and their queens.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896