Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - The Elephant and Castle

The Elephant and Castle - photograph

THE ELEPHANT AND CASTLE.

Although now chiefly known as a spot where omnibuses and tram-cars stop, the Elephant and Castle was an important tavern in the old coaching days. It is nearly equi-distant - one and a half miles - from Westminster, Waterloo, and Blackfriars Brides, being situated at the northern end of Walworth Road and at the beginning of New Kent Road. In the thoroughfare to the right of our picture, known as Newington Butts, is the Metropolitan Tabernacle, so long the scene of the late C. H. Spurgeon's ministry. The building with a cupola is a station of the South London Electric Railway. The "Elephant and Castle" has for its sign the well-known crest of the Cutlers' Company - an elephant on a castle - and it gives its name to a neighbouring theatre and to a horse repository.