This picture shows the house iu Chevne Row, Chelsea, which was the home of Thomas Carlyle from 1834 until his death in 1881. It is distinguished by an excellent medallion portrait, and it has now been converted into a permanent Carlyle Museum, which was opened in 1895, the centenary of the great man's birth. Carlyle himself wrote to his wife, on taking possession of the house, that it was "probably the best we have ever lived in - a right old strong, roomy brick house, built nearly one hundred and fifty years ago, and likely to see three races of these modern fashionables fall before it comes down." "We lie safe at a bend of the river," he also wrote, "and see nothing of London except by day the summits of St. Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey, and by night the gleam of the great Babylon."
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896