THE NATIONAL LIBERAL CLUB AND WHITEHALL COURT.
Although the National Liberal Club was established in 1882, the palatial house in Whitehall Place was not opened until Midsummer, 1887, three years after Mr. W. E. Gladstone, the President of the Club, had laid the stone. The architect was Mr. Alfred Waterhouse, R A. The chief features of the "N.L.C" which has some six thousand members, are the "Gladstone Library," a noble room containing nearly twenty thousand volumes, and the splendid marble spheriform staircase. There is also a terrace pleasantly overlooking one of the gardens of the Victoria Embankment. From time to time political receptions and party meetings are held at the Club, which is triangular its shape, the remainder of the huge block being known as Whitehall Court.