HYDE PARK CORNER AND APSLEY HOUSE.
Our view in this instance shows a part of one of the most attractive spots in London. To the left is seen the entrance to the Park, known as Hyde Park Corner, a handsome gateway with three passages. It was designed by Burton, the reliefs being copies of the world-famous Elgin marbles, and it was built in 1828. The fine mansion with the four columns is Apsley House, purchased be the Government in 1820 as a gift to the Duke of Wellington, in acknowledgment of his services to the nation. It contains some fine pictures and statues and many interesting relics of the great Duke. Next to Apsley House is the town residence of Lord Rothschild, while beyond are the mansions of other wealthy men.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896