ORLEANS HOUSE, TWICKENHAM.
Orleans House is so called because Louis Philippe lived therein for some years while Duke of Orleans. It was built by the Secretary for Scotland, Johnstone, in the reign of Queen Anne; the octagonal room to the left was specially constructed for the reception of Queen Caroline, the consort of George II. The Duc d'Aumale also lived at Orleans House until he was allowed to return to France, and another royalty in exile who occupied the mansion for a while was Don Canoe. For some years the house was the headquarters of the Orleans Club, but after the break-up of this Club in 1883 it passed into private hands. Orleans House faces the Thames, and its grounds, which extend to the riverside, are delightfully planted, the utmost advantage having been taken of the fruitful soil.