ST. MARTINS-LE-GRAND: GENERAL VIEW OF THE POST OFFICE BUILDINGS.
On either side of St. Martin's-le-Grand are the buildings of the General Pest Office. That to the left, one side of which abuts upon Newgate Street, was built in the early seventies, at a cost of nearly half a million, to contain the Administration Offices and the Telegraph Department but this enormous place has been for some time outgrown, and beyond it will be noticed the General Post Office North (finished in 1894) erected from the designs of Tanner, in the classic style for the accommodation of the Central Savings Bank, and of the Postmaster-General and other high officials of this important State department. The site alone of the new structure cost £326,000. The Head Post Office itself is the building with Ionic pillars on the right of our picture