THE HOTEL METROPOLE AND NORTHUMBERLAND AVENUE.
The view of Northumberland Avenue is taken from the Embankment looking towards Trafalgar Square. The tall triangular building is the Hotel Metropole, with the Whitehall Rooms opening out upon Whitehall Place, on the left. Beyond the Metropole in the Avenue, is the Hotel Victoria, the eastern corner of the block being occupied be the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. The not unattractive building to the right of our picture is the Avenue Theatre, bounded by Craven Street, leading to the Strand, and by the road leading under Charing Cross Railway Bridge. Northumberland Avenue takes its name from the town house of the Percy family, which, having been bought by the Metropolitan Board of Works, was removed in 1874 to make room for improvements at this spot.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896