HALL AND STAIRCASE OF STAFFORD HOUSE.
Stafford House, the Duke of Sutherland's town residence, which is situated between St. James's Palace and the Green Park, is, in the opinion of many, the finest private house in London. It was built by the Duke of York in or about 1825, only two years or so before his death and the money realised by the sale of it when it was sold was devoted to laying out Victoria Park. The noble proportions of the hall are apparent in our picture. On the ground floor is the library; and the grand staircase leads to the old State apartments and the picture gallery on the first floor. The paintings include specially noteworthy works by Murillo, Van Dyck, and Moroni; and the public are admitted to see them (except such as are hung in the private rooms), under certain conditions, in the spring and summer.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896