Sloane Square, as well as other places in the neighbourhood, owes its name to Sir Hans Sloane, the founder of the British Museum, who purchased the manor of Chelsea early in the last century. The Square is situated at the east end of the King's Road, and still has something of an old-fashioned appearance, notwithstanding the modern residential flats erected here and close by. At the south-east corner is a station of the District Railway, and near this, with rounded windows, partly concealed by the tree on the left of our view, is the Royal Court Theatre, built in 1871 on the site of a chapel, which in its turn had replaced an earlier theatre. Another building of some note in the Square is a dispensary, in the founding of which William Wilberforce had a share.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896