In the belief that one of the crying needs of London was ampler market provision, the philanthropic Baroness Burdett-Coutts had Columbia Market built in Bethnal Green, in the Columbia Road, off the Hackney Road, near Shoreditch Church. The structure, which includes a fine Gothic hall, cost something like £200,000; and it was proposed that meat, fish, and vegetables should he sold here. But for some reason or other the Market never prospered ; and the place is not now used for its original purpose, although a small market is held further down the Columbia Road, to the left of our picture. The correct name of the lofty residential buildings enclosing the market-place is Georgina Gardens, although they are often called the "Baroness Burdett-Coutts Buildings."
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896