THE MEMORIAL HALL, FARRINGDON STREET
The Memorial Hall, built by the Congregationalists in memory of the two thousand clergymen who, for their non-subscription to the Act of Uniformity, were deprived of their livings in 1662, occupies the site of the famous Fleet Prison. This handsome stone building, designed in the Gothic style by Mr. Tarring in the 'seventies, has a frontage of 84 feet in Farringdon Street. It contains a hall which will hold 1,500 people, and a fine library of somewhat smaller dimensions, with many offices occupied mostly by denominational societies. The building to the left of the our view - a bank - stands at the corner of St. Bride Street; and the bridge in the distance is that which carries the Holborn Viaduct over Farringdon Street.