ST. SAVIOUR'S, SOUTHWARK.
St. Saviour's, Southwark-, within a few minutes' walk of London Bridge Station, is one of the finest parish churches in the kingdom. Before the Reformation it was known as the Priory Church of St. Mary Overy. The tower, 35 feet square and 150 feet high, is a very solid structure. In 1840 the nave was rebuilt, but in so wretched a fashion that it had to be replaced by another, from the designs of Sir Arthur Blomfield, who undertook a thorough restoration of the fabric, with a view to St. Saviour's becoming a cathedral for South London. The poet John Gower is buried in the south transept, and in the church also lie Edmund Shakespeare, a brother of the poet, Philip Massinger, John Fletcher, and other dramatists and actors who were connected with the old Bankside theatres.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896