MERCHANT TAYLORS' SCHOOL.
Established in 1561, the Merchant Taylors' School owes much to Sir Thomas White, who founded St. John's College. Oxford, and reserved thereat forty-three scholarships for the Merchant Taylors' boys. When the Charterhouse School was removed to Godalming, the Merchant Taylors' Company acquired the site in Charterhouse Square, and transferred their school hither from Suffolk Lane, Upper Thames Street. The present premises, though they incorporate portions of the old Charterhouse School, are modern; the stone of the main building (in the centre of our view) having been laid by the Duke of Edinburgh in 1873. On the right of the picture is the latest addition to the buildings. To the left are the old Charterhouse cloisters, with the quarters of some of the officers of that foundation.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896