GOLDSMITHS' HALL PREPARED FOR A "PYX DINNER."
The present Hall of the Goldsmiths Company, in Foster Lane, Cheapside, was built in the Italian style from designs by Philip Hardwick, R. A., in 1832-35. The splendid banqueting room is 80 feet long by 40 feet broad and 35 feet high. Between the Corinthian columns are portraits of Queen Adelaide, William IV., and Queen Victoria. and before the mirrors are busts of George III. and George IV. The stained glass of the five lofty arched windows displays the armorial bearings of distinguished goldsmiths and the magnificent plate of the Company is kept in a spacious alcove. A jury of wardens of the Company is periodically empanelled to test samples of the coins made at the Royal Mint, which are placed in a small box, or pyx; and this function is invariably followed by the "Pyx Dinner."
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896