REGENT STREET AND WATERLOO PLACE.
Regent Street, one of the finest thoroughfares in all London, was made in 1813 to connect the now destroyed Carlton House, then the residence of the Prince Regent (afterwards George IV.), with Regent's Park; and the above view, taken from below Regent Circus, better known as Piccadilly Circus, shows the southern portion. Across Pall Mall is seen Watenloo Place, from which rise the Crimean monument and the York column, the latter surmounted by a statue of George III. s second son; while beyond is St. James's Park. On the left of our view are the Junior United Service and Raleigh Clubs. Regent Street, as a whole, is famous for its shops, which are much frequented of an afternoon by ladies on purchases intent ; and innumerable carriages and public vehicles pass along it in an almost continuous stream.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896