WINDSOR CASTLE: THE LOWER WARD, WITH ST. GEORGE'S CHAPEL.
Windsor Castle was originally built by William the Conqueror, but a new erection was substituted by William of Wykeham to the order of Edward III., and from time to time the fortress has been enlarged and restored. The above view shows the Lower Ward. On the left is St. George's Chapel, associated with the Knights of the Garter; it was begun by Edward IV. and finished by Henry VIII., and is a splendid specimen of the Late Gothic style. On the right are the residences of the Military Knights, and beyond, on a high mound, is the famous Round Tower, or Keep, entered from the Upper Ward, Its battlements, to which the public are allowed to ascend, command a view over twelve counties.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896