THE PALM HOUSE, KEW GARDENS.
At the south end of the Royal Botanic Gardens is the Great Palm House, which was built in 1845 at a cost of £33,000. It is 362 ft. long, 100 ft. broad, and 66 ft. high, and contains nearly an acre of glass. Inside, it is easy to imagine oneself in a tropical forest. Palms, tree-ferns, and others of like kind, flourish here exceedingly and the visitor may note the date-palm, the betel-nut, the cocoanut, the upas-tree, the bamboo, the cotton-plant, the coffee-shrub, the tamarind, and the clove. East of the Palm House is the lake, and westward stretches an avenue through the Arboretum nearly three quarters of a mile long. This is known as Syon Vista, the Duke of Northumberland's estate being within view on the opposite bank of the Thames.