HAMMERSMITH BRIDGE, FROM THE SOUTH SIDE.
At Hammersmith the River Thames is spanned by a very graceful Suspension Bridge, which was opened in the summer of 1887 by the late Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence. This bridge serves the district between Putney and Row, a distance of five and a half miles. The parish church, which is, however, of no particular interest, is shown in the picture presented above. Perhaps the most striking feature of Hammersmith, which lies, of course, on the left bank of the river, is the Mall, where are situated houses dating from the reign of Queen Anne. At Hammersmith, too, are the headquarters of various boating clubs. The bridge used to be crowded on the occasion of the Oxford and Cambridge boat-race, but of late years this practice has been forbidden by the authorities.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896