THE HOP EXCHANGE, SOUTHWARK.
Near the Borough Market, at the east end of Southwark Street, is the large block of buildings containing the Hop Exchange. This was built thirty years ago, from designs by Mr. Moore, and is admirably adapted to its purpose. The Hall is approached by a short flight of steps and a vestibule with large iron gates. The business of the Exchange is transacted on the ground floor, while all round and in the three galleries are the offices of merchants and others. The gallery railings are emblematic in design and light is admitted through the glass roof. The Exchange is situated in the heart of what may be called the Hop Quarter, and the district abounds in storage accommodation for the fruit.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896