ST. PAUL'S SCHOOL, WITH THE OLD RED COW, HAMMERSMITH.
Dean Colet, the friend of Erasmus, founded St. Paul's School in 1509, and left it in trust to the Mercers' Company, in preference to any ecclesiastical body. The school was once at the rear of St. Paul's Cathedral, but now occupies a more suitable site at Hammersmith and is managed according to a scheme of the Charity Commissioners. Among its famous scholars may be mentioned Camden, Milton, Pepys, and Jowett. The boys number about 630, of whom 153 are foundation scholars. Judged by the scholarships and prizes test, St. Paul's School is second to none. The inn hard by is over 200 years old, and was more famous in the old coaching days than it can now pretend to be.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896