Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - The Admiralty

Admiralty - photograph

THE ADMIRALTY.

The Admiralty, between Trafalgar Square and the Horse Guards, was once known as Wallingford House, and its present front was built about 1726 by Thomas Ripley, to whom contemptuous reference is made in the "Dunciad;" while fifty years later the stone screen, with its appropriate marine emblems, by Robert Adam, was added. Viewed from the outside, the building, which, it will be noticed, stands back from the road, is not particularly impressive, but its interior is well arranged, though inadequate for present needs; and large new offices have been built in the rear, facing St. James's Park. It was at the Admiralty that Lord Nelson's body lay in state before being interred in St. Paul's Cathedral.