THE WEST INDIA IMPORT DOCK.
The West India Docks, a hundred and sixty-four acres in extent, consist of two parallel docks running east and west, from Limehouse to Blackwall. Over the chief, or western, entrance are inscribed the words: The West India Import Dock, begun 12th July, 1800; opened for business 1st September, 1802. The opening ceremony was performed by William Pitt and this was the first wet dock built on the north side of the Thames. The Import Dock, the more northerly of the two, has on the north side eleven huge warehouses, capable of accommodating nearly a hundred thousand tons of goods here are stored sugar, coffee, flour, cocoa, spices, etc. The other West India Dock is known as the Export Dock.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896