Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - Blackfriars Bridge

Blackfriars Bridge - photograph

BLACKFRIARS BRIDGE. 

Blackfriars Bridge, 1,272 feet long and 80 feet broad, is made of iron, its five arches being supported by granite piers. It Cost 320,000, was built by Cubitt, and was opened in 1869. Parallel with it, and spoiling whatever good effect it might possess, runs the London, Chatham and Dover railway bridge; and the sloping roof visible in our picture is that of St. Paul's station. But no better view of the grandly proportioned dome and towers of St. Paul's Cathedral can be obtained than from Blackfriars Bridge, which, by the bye, owes its name to an old monastery situated on the bank of the river, and dating from the end of the twelfth century. The bridge which it superseded was of stone, and was built in 1769.