KNIGHTSBRIDGE, WITH THE BARRACKS.
Knightsbridge derives the second part of its name from a bridge which formerly spanned the Westbourne at the spot where now stands the Albert Gate of Hyde Park. In these days the stream is little more than the surplus water of the Serpentine, which is carried off by a culvert under the high road but early in the century, when it overflowed its banks, it was capable of converting the whole neighbourhood into a lake, and for some days foot-passengers had to be rowed from place to place by Thames boatmen. The Barracks, generally occupied by a regiment of the Guards, were originally erected in 1794-5, but were rebuilt in 1879-80. Facing Rotten Row, on the south side of the Park, they form an extensive quadrangle, with a spacious parade ground in the centre.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896