LAMBETH PALACE, WITH ST. MARY'S CHURCH, FROM THE SUSPENSION BRIDGE
Just east of Lambeth Bridge, on the south side of the Thames, is the Palace that for six centuries and more has been the London residence of the Archbishops of Canterbury. What is commonly called the Lollards' Tower was used as a prison, and the followers of Wycliffe were not the only persons who experienced its rigours. Lovelace here found that stone walls do not a prison make. The Chapel is the oldest part of the Palace, having been built in 1245, and its windows and screen were presented by Laud. Various great ecclesiastics have added to the pile, which architecturally is of uncommon interest The Lollards' Tower is on the left in our view the Library is seen in the middle, with a lantern springing from the roof the building on the right is the parish church-St Mary's.