NEW SCOTLAND YARD.
For a long time the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police were in an insignificant court near Charing Cross, known as Scotland Yard, but in 1891 the present spacious premises were opened on the Thames Embankment, near the Houses of Parliament. The lower portion of the building, hidden in our picture by the trees, is of Portland stone, prepared - strange irony of fate -by convicts, and the upper portion of red brick, with stone facings At New Scotland Yard is the office of Col. Sir Edward Bradford, the Chief Commissioner, who wields authority over 31 superintendents, 598 inspectors, 1,831 sergeants, and 12,738 constables - 15,198 men, all told. The designs for the structure, which were the subject of not a little hostile criticism, were furnished by Mr. Norman Shaw, R. A.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896