ST. JOHN'S GATE, CLERKENWELL
As far back as the year 1100 the elder of the two great semi-military orders - that of St. John - had a beautiful Priory in Clerkenwell of which the only relic is the Gate in St. John Street (not far from Charterhouse) built in 1504 in the late Gothic style by Prior Docwra. The Order was dissolved by Queen Elizabeth, but was revived in 1829 to tend the wounded on the battlefield, and is now best known as the parent of the St. John's Ambulance Association. The rooms over the gate were once occupied by Cave, the publisher and employer of Dr. Johnson; now they are the offices of the Order. Below the windows are the shields of Henry VIII. and Docwra, Queen Victoria, the Princes of Wales, Prior, and the Duke of Clarence, who was Sub-prior. Through the Archway is seen St. John's Square.