NEW CONVENT AT CHELSEA.
A Convent of the Order of St. Joseph, with convenient schools attached,
represented in our engraving, have recently been erected in Cadogan-street,
Chelsea. The bounteous founder is Mr. Knight, the eminent botanist, of
King's-road, who purchased the property, at a cost of nearly £5000, and built
the convent and schools entirely at his own expense. The design consists of a
centre and two wings, or a convent for the religious persons, and separate
schools for the boys and girls, with a small chapel attached, for the use of the
establishment; the whole fronted by a wall, in which are four entrances. The
edifice has its roof and gables characteristically surmounted with the cross.
The establishment was opened with great ceremony, about a fortnight since; when, the Hon. Edward Petre, and other gentlemen of rank an influence, accompanied by a large number of ladies of distinction, took a foremost part in the proceedings. The children went in procession from the Catholic Chapel in Cadogan-terrace, accompanied by several clergymen, and the other parties above-mentioned, and, on their arrival, the children were formally introduced to their new preceptors, consisting of five nuns from the Convent of Mercy at Bermondsey, and several monks from some of the Catholic colleges in the north of England, of the Trappist order, celebrated for their learning, devotedness to the instruction of youth, and piety. Mr. Petre addressed the assembly at great length, and commented on the charity of the founder; and, after some further proceedings, the company separated.
from The Illustrated London News, 1845