Victorian London - Directories - Dickens's Dictionary of London, by Charles Dickens, Jr., 1879 - "German Protestant Places of Worship"

[ ... back to main menu for this book]

German Protestant Places of Worship.—The following information has been kindly furnished by the respective ministers, the “terms of membership” being given in their own words:
GERMAN PROTESTANT REFORMED CHURCH, Hooper-square, Whitechapel. —Terms of membership: “Attending of services and communion; with wealthy people paying a pew rent.” Seat rents, 10s. 6d. and £1 1s., somewhat over £105 yearly altogether. This church, founded 1697, being one of the oldest of the German churches in London; first service held in Savoy Palace; since 1771 the church stood at the present place of Waterloo-bridge; sin 1819 in Hooper-square, E.
GERMAN PROTESTANT EVAGELICAL CHURCH, Fowler-road, Halton-road, near Cross-street, Essex-road, Islington. — Terms of membership“Members are those who attend the services, pay an annual (voluntary) contribution to the church, apply to the committee of the church for reception as members, and are a proved and received by that body as such.” Seat rents, 3s. and 6s. per quarter. Services: Sundays, 11 am. and 6.30 p.m.; Wednesdays, 7 p.m.; Sunday school 3 p.m. Communion usually on the first Sunday of the month, either morning or evening. 

Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879