COMMERCIAL DOCKS. Five ample and commodious docks, the property of the Commercial Dock Company, with an entrance from the Thames, between Randall's-rents and Dog-and-Duck-stairs, nearly opposite King's-Arms-stairs in the Isle of Dogs. They were opened in 1807, and were originally known as the Greenland Docks. Office of the Company, No.106, Fenchurch-street.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
see Henry Mayhew's Letter IV in Morning Chronicle - click here