THE ALEXANDRA RAILWAY BRIDGE connects the Blackfriars Bridge Station of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway with the Ludgate Hill station, the terminus at Farringdon Street not being yet completed. It is an elegant iron bridge, to which H.R.H. the Princess of Wales has been pleased to accord the above designation.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865
[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Alexandra Bridge is a hideous iron structure put together by the L. C. and D. R. Company to carry their line to Ludgate-hiIl and the Holborn-viaduct. It consists of long lines of gigantic lattice - work girders, inside of which the trains run, and which rest on rows of naked round iron cylinders.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879