CHAR1NG CROSS RAILWAY BRIDGE,
with a footway on each side for passengers, carries their traffic across the Thames into the terminus.
The Charing Cross Hotel, at the West End terminus of the South Eastern Railway, contains 300 rooms, suitable for all classes. A restaurant and refreshment rooms open on to the platform. It will cost upwards of 100,000l. In the court-yard opening to the Strand is erected, under the direction of E. M. Barry, Esq., A.R.A., a revival of the Eleanor Cross (of King Edward III) which once stood at the village of Charing.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865
[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Charing Cross Bridge stands on the site of the old Hungerford Suspension-bridge, which was removed in 1863 to Clifton. The lower parts of the two brick piers, on which were built the supporting towers of the old bridge, still remain, and have been utilised for the new work. They are supplemented by two intermediate set of iron piers; a large number of which also support the fan-shaped extension of the bridge towards the station. Along either side of the bridge runs a footpath; that on the eastern side being open to passengers, and affording the shortest route from all the Charing-cross district to the Waterloo Station. These footpaths, however, are not an integral portion of the structure, but are carried on small supplementary girders bolted on to the bridge proper.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879