[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Thames Steam Ferry, between Wapping and Rotherhithe (near Thames Tunnel), about 2 miles below London-bridge. The ferry-boats are 82 ft. in length and 42 ft. in width, and can accommodate twelve two-horse vans in addition to foot passengers, the carrying capacity being 50 tons. Opened by the Lord Mayor on October 30, 1877. To horses and vehicles a saving of 7 ½ miles in the double journey is effected by this new ferry, avoiding, at the same time, the crowded thoroughfares of the City. Open from 6a.m. to 8 p.m. Foot passengers, 1d. The Ferry is worked from each side every quarter of an hour.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879