REGENT'S CANAL was projected by Mr. John Nash, architect, for the purpose of forming a continuous line of canal navigation from the Grand Junction Canal at Paddington to the River Thames at Limehouse; with basins at the Regent' Park, the City-road, St. Luke's, and at Limehouse. It was commenced Oct. 14th, 1812 opened from Paddington to the Regent's Park-basin in 1814, and throughout to the Thames Aug. 1st, 1820. Mr. James Morgan was the engineer. This canal has two tunnels and in length is rather more than 8½ miles with a fall of 90 feet by twelve locks exclusive of the tide lock at the Thames. It is now largely used for the supply of coal to the north side of the metropolis. A railway now in progress by its side will lessen its importance.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850